CS Genetics is developing pathbreaking new technology for genomics, based on foundational scientific insights and sophisticated conceptual innovations in NGS techniques. Our work will accelerate basic biologic research and enable lifesaving new clinical diagnostics. We have an extremely skilled team, a large global intellectual property estate, and amongst the most inventive, ambitious technology roadmaps in life science.
We’re developing a radically-new, instrument-free platform for single-cell sequencing with disruptive throughput and experimental ease. We’re growing our Cambridge R&D team to help launch a new era of NGS-based cellular analysis.
We’re looking for an exceptional, experienced, and audacious laboratory scientist to join our NGS R&D team as a Scientist (Chemistry/Chemical Biology). The ideal candidate will have a track-record of using and/or refining complex technologies/assays for measurement/detection of nucleic acids and/or proteins; they will have comprehensive knowledge of molecular methods and tools for processing, modification, and detection of nucleic acids; they will be a rigorous, analytical, and organised experimentalist; they will have a keen intellectual interest in DNA sequencing technologies and their applications; they will have a keen personal interest in saving and extending lives through life science R&D.
- Develop, assess, and optimise categorically new laboratory techniques and assay workflows for NGS
- Engineer and evaluate new types of macromolecular and/or solid-phase consumable reagents
- Advance complex R&D roadmaps through deft experimental planning and laboratory execution
- Engineer and evaluate new types of laboratory kits/products for use by academic and clinical scientists
- Work with a team of other laboratory scientists developing new ways of using NGS for research and medicine
- Communicate internally and with external partners via oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings
Required Skills and Background
- PhD/DPhil in chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry or similar relevant subject; or BA/BSc or equivalent and 5+ years hands-on experience as a laboratory scientist in academia and/or industry
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Nucleic acid chemistry
- Surface chemistry
- Formulation chemistry
- Significant hands-on experience with nucleic acid techniques (e.g. modification and conjugation of oligonucleotides, detection and assay development with spectroscopic techniques like UV and fluorescence, surface chemistries used for nucleic acid technologies, etc.)
- Understanding of NGS sequencing platforms and familiarity with the chemistry/physics/biology interface
- Enthusiasm for a demanding, fast-paced R&D role in a small-startup environment
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with common molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR/qPCR, RT, electrophoresis, etc.)
- Experience developing/refining sophisticated nucleic acid or protein detection technologies/methods (molecular, optical, or otherwise)
- Broad scientific knowledgebase relevant to nucleic acids and NGS
- Peer-reviewed publications and/or patent applications in chemistry, chemical biology, nucleic acids, genomics/NGS, or similar