CS Genetics is developing pathbreaking new technology for genomics, based on foundational scientific insights and sophisticated conceptual innovations in NGS techniques. Our work will accelerate basic biologic research and enable lifesaving new clinical diagnostics. We have an extremely skilled team, a large global intellectual property estate, and amongst the most inventive, ambitious technology roadmaps in life science.
We’re developing a radically-new, instrument-free platform for single-cell sequencing with disruptive throughput and experimental ease. We’re growing our Cambridge R&D team to help launch a new era of NGS-based cellular analysis.
We’re looking for an exceptional, experienced, and audacious laboratory scientist to join our NGS R&D team as an Associate Scientist (Chemistry/Chemical Biology). The ideal candidate will have experience in using and/or refining complex technologies/assays for measurement/detection of nucleic acids and/or proteins; they will have a broad knowledge of molecular methods and tools for processing, modification, and detection of nucleic acids; they will be a rigorous, analytical, and organised experimentalist; they will have a keen intellectual interest in DNA sequencing technologies and their applications; they will have a keen personal interest in saving and extending lives through life science R&D.
- Perform complex, cutting-edge hands-on labwork to develop new technology for genomics
- Engineer and evaluate new types of macromolecular and/or solid-phase consumable reagents
- Advance complex R&D roadmaps through deft experimental planning and laboratory execution
- Work with a team of other laboratory scientists developing new ways of using NGS for research and medicine
- Communicate internally and with external partners via oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings
Required Skills and Background
- BA/BSc or equivalent in chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry or similar relevant subject and 3+ years hands-on experience as a laboratory scientist in academia and/or industry
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Nucleic acid chemistry
- Surface chemistry
- Formulation chemistry
- Hands-on experience with chemistry techniques applicable to biomolecules like nucleic acids (e.g. modification and conjugation of oligonucleotides, detection and assay development with spectroscopic techniques like UV and fluorescence, surface chemistries used for nucleic acid technologies, etc.)
- Understanding of NGS sequencing platforms and familiarity with the chemistry/physics/biology interface
- Attention to detail in hands-on labwork, in record-keeping, and in communications with others
- Willingness to learn new protocols, and an ability to work and advance independently once trained in a method
- Enthusiasm for a demanding, fast-paced R&D role in a small-startup environment
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience with common molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR/qPCR, RT, electrophoresis, etc.)
- Experience developing/refining sophisticated nucleic acid or protein detection technologies/methods (molecular, optical, or otherwise)
- Broad scientific knowledgebase relevant to nucleic acids and NGS
- MSci/MRes/MPhil or equivalent in a relevant field preferred but not required