CS Genetics is developing pathbreaking new technology for genomics, based on foundational scientific insights and sophisticated conceptual innovations in NGS techniques. Our work will accelerate basic biologic research and enable lifesaving new clinical diagnostics. We have an extremely skilled team, a large global intellectual property estate, and amongst the most inventive, ambitious technology roadmaps in life science.
We’re developing a radically-new, instrument-free platform for single-cell sequencing with disruptive throughput and experimental ease. We’re growing our Cambridge R&D team to help launch a new era of NGS-based cellular analysis.
We’re looking for an exceptional, experienced, and audacious laboratory scientist to join our NGS R&D team as a Senior Scientist - Molecular Biology. The ideal candidate will have a convincing track-record of developing, evaluating, and refining NGS technologies or assays for research and/or clinical-diagnostic applications; they will have comprehensive knowledge of molecular methods and tools for processing, modification, and detection of nucleic acids; they will be a rigorous, analytical, and organised experimentalist; they will have a keen intellectual interest in DNA sequencing technologies and their applications; they will have a keen personal interest in saving and extending lives through life science R&D.
- Develop, assess, and optimise categorically new laboratory techniques and assay workflows for NGS
- Engineer and evaluate new types of macromolecular and/or solid-phase consumable reagents
- Work with a team of other scientists developing new NGS sample-prep technologies for research and medicine
- Coordinate complex R&D roadmaps to prioritise, track, and achieve key technical milestones therein
- Conceive and perform systematic evaluation/optimisation processes for NGS workflows and reagents
- Communicate internally and with external partners via oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings
Required Skills and Background
- PhD/DPhil in molecular biology, genetics/genomics, biochemistry, molecular bioengineering, or similar field
- 3+ years post-PhD experience as a laboratory scientist in academia and/or industry
- Comprehensive knowledge of NGS, including sequencing platforms, sample-prep methods, and applications
- Experience developing and/or refining new NGS technologies (e.g. sample prep, sequencing biochemistry, etc.)
- Enthusiasm for a demanding, fast-paced R&D role in a small-startup environment
Desired Skills and Background
- 5+ years experience performing sophisticated NGS research and technology development (e.g. complex sample-prep schemes such as single-cell/in-situ/on-flowcell methods; short-read/long-read sequencing biochemistry; advanced genomic, epigenomic, and/or clinical NGS assays; droplet-emulsion and/or microfluidic sample processing; transposase-mediated sample processing/indexing; combinatorial indexing)
- Knowledge of and/or experience using common bioinformatics pipelines, and experience working with bioinformaticians/computational biologists for processing and analysis of large/complex NGS datasets
- Broad scientific knowledgebase relevant to NGS (e.g. genetic health/disease; cancer genomics; immunology)
- Peer-reviewed publications and/or patent applications in molecular biology, genomics/NGS, or similar
- Knowledge of formal Design of Experiments (DoE) methodologies in NGS R&D