XMOS has ambitious plans for its software platforms and is looking for an energetic and versatile software engineer to join the growing team. You will participate in and influence all aspects of software development, with opportunities to work on wide ranging projects on the latest xcore.ai processor to cloud hosted services, from real-time DSP to Neural Network design.
The role reports to the Director of Software Engineering, based in our Bristol office in the UK. To perform this role, you will need to be self-directed, proactive, and able to work independently, and you’ll enjoy solving day-to-day problems with limited direction.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaboration with engineers from a range of disciplines to deliver complete, production ready systems
- Software design, implementation, and documentation
- Code reviews and support for other development on going within the team
- Representing software design at product development reviews
- Collaboration with agile planning processes
We’re a global business, headquartered in Bristol, with offices across Asia and the United States; and we’re backed by some of the best names in high tech venture capital.
XMOS stands at the interface between voice processing, biometrics and artificial intelligence. Backed by some of the best names in high tech venture capital, we’re a leading supplier of voice and audio solutions to the consumer electronics market. Today our unique silicon architecture and highly differentiated software delivers class-leading far-field voice capture, and we’re building for a more natural human machine interface tomorrow.
As a deep tech company, we’re always looking for questioning, flexible and determined people to help make that happen. Ours is a learning environment, which means we hire for capability and potential – and help you to achieve your best.
XMOS has ambitious plans for its next generation of ICs and is looking for energetic and versatile design engineers to join the growing team. Working in a ‘start-up’ environment, you will participate in all aspects of design, working at block and chip level.
Who we’re looking for:
You will have a proven track record in the development of complex software systems and demonstrable skills in Software Engineering, from specification to implementation and testing, in multiple of these areas:
- Real time operating systems (Ideally FreeRTOS)
- IoT frameworks and messaging protocols
- Low level serial protocols such as SPI; and
- low level networking standards such as TLS working with Ethernet and Wi-Fi
- Programming multi-core micro-controllers/processors
- Networking and asynchronous IO applications
- DSP (e.g. audio processing, imaging, and vision)
- Database design
You will also have:
- Strong C/C++ programming skills
- Strong Python scripting
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience of developing unit tests, and preferably of Test-Driven Development
- Familiarity with the use of SCM systems, and preferably a working knowledge of Git and a good understanding of Continuous Integration systems
Your Technical Experience must include a working knowledge of programming multithreaded applications and developing for resource constrained platforms / embedded systems, and you will hold a BSc or above in Computer Science or a related discipline.
Other skills that we’d love to hear about:
- Neural network concepts and design, such as having worked with TensorFlow
- Software system design, with consideration of a processor architecture
- Acoustics and signal processing for voice applications
- Tool chain development (compilers, LLVM)
- Competitive Salary
- Share Options – EMI approved share options allocated at a level commensurate to seniority. A 4-year vesting profile with a 1-year cliff
- Holidays – 25 days paid with an additional 3 days over the Christmas period when the office closes
- Private Medical Insurance – membership of the corporate healthcare plan, currently held with AVIVA. Option of adding partner and children if they are residing in the UK (incremental premium has to be paid by the Employee)
- Group Income Protection Cover – the level of benefit payable is 75% of Scheme Salary and an employee will become entitled to benefit after being unable to work because of sickness or injury for 26 continuous weeks
- Life Insurance – the benefit payable is a lump sum of 4 times Scheme Salary
- Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme – established for employee contributions, with XMOS matching these up to 5% of salary.