XMOS is a UK based fabless semiconductor company. Our multicore microcontrollers can be found in millions of devices, from robotics to voice assistants, e-bikes to conference systems. Our processor architecture uniquely provides the flexibility of an FPGA, delivers predictable hard real-time DSP and the acceleration of vector processing required to run today’s AI applications.
We are now embarking on the design of our 4th generation processor, targeting energy efficient edge-AIoT for smart consumer devices.
Join the team
We are looking for energetic, versatile software engineers to join the team to develop the next generation of edge-AI applications. You will be joining a team of many specialisations, from highly optimised embedded DSP to hard real-time protocols, to maintaining our own branch of SMP FreeRTOS.
Our software team develops and maintains a general-purpose SDK, multiple reference designs for applications such as far-field voice processing, and tools and run-times to support TensorFlow Lite.
While this role reports to the Director of Software in our Bristol (UK) office, you will be working alongside members of our Tools team, who provide our compiler and tool chain, and Silicon team, currently specifying the architecture of our 4th generation processor.
What we are looking for
To excel in this role, you will need to be self-directed, proactive, and enjoy complex technical challenges. You will have a proven track record in the development of complex software systems and demonstrable skills in software engineering, from specification to implementation and testing including:
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills.
- DSP (e.g., audio processing, imaging and vision)
- Strong Python scripting.
- Experience of developing unit tests, and preferably of test-driven development.
- Familiarity with the use of version control systems, and preferably a working knowledge of Git and a good understanding of continuous integration systems.
- A working knowledge of Git and an understanding of continuous integration systems.
Additionally, you will have expertise in multiple of these areas:
- Developing for embedded devices.
- Bare-metal development.
- Real-time system implementation and optimisation.
- IoT frameworks and messaging protocols.
- Low level serial protocols such as SPI.
- Low level networking standards such as TLS working with Ethernet and Wi-Fi.
- Programming cross-over processors, multicore microcontrollers/processors or AIoT SoCs.
Your technical experience must include a working knowledge of programming multithreaded applications and developing for resource constrained platforms / embedded systems, and you will hold a BSc or above in computer science, electrical engineering or a related discipline.
XMOS is a global business, headquartered in Bristol (UK), with offices across Asia and the United States; and backed by some of the biggest names in high-tech venture capital.
XMOS stands at the interface between voice processing and artificial intelligence. A leading supplier of voice and audio solutions for the consumer and commercial electronics market, our unique silicon architecture and highly differentiated software delivers class-leading far-field voice capture. Our high-performance, easily integrated solutions are transforming consumers’ interactions with everyday devices.
As a deep tech company working to develop more natural human-machine interfaces, we’re always looking for questioning, flexible and determined people to help make that happen. Ours is a learning environment, which means we hire for capability and potential – and help you to achieve your best.
About our technology
XMOS is a fabless semiconductor company with a unique microcontroller design, underpinned by our own in-house tools.
Our approach to multicore, highly parallel stream processing enables our software team to develop highly efficient, “at the edge” intelligent sensor applications.
Today, we deliver best-in-class voice capture – detecting voice commands accurately, from across the room – even in noisy environments. And we’re building for a more natural human-machine interface tomorrow.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working – while the role is based in our Bristol office in the UK, we support flexible working patterns accommodating a mix of home and office-based working.
- Share options – EMI approved share options allocated at a level commensurate to seniority. A 4-year vesting profile with a 1-year cliff.
- Holidays – 25 days paid with an additional 3 days over the Christmas period when the office closes.
- Private medical insurance – membership of the corporate healthcare plan, currently held with AVIVA. Option of adding partner and children if they are residing in the UK (incremental premium must be paid by the Employee.)
- Group income protection cover – the level of benefit payable is 75% of scheme salary and an employee will become entitled to benefit after being unable to work because of sickness or injury for 26 continuous weeks.
- Life insurance – the benefit payable is a lump sum of 4 times scheme salary.
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme – established for employee contributions, with XMOS matching these up to 5% of salary.