ASIC verification is a highly complex process, more so when you are working with a unique processor architecture. At XMOS you will be involved in all levels of verification, from instruction set, bus communications and memory architecture, to chip level where you will be working with 3rd party components such as USB and MIPI.
XMOS has offered a broad range of processors for over 15 years, and we are now embarking on our 4th generation architecture. Targeting edge-AIoT, we are continuing to innovate the “cross-over” processor – low-cost, energy-efficient but capable of executing highly complex neural networks. Ours remains a truly general-purpose architecture, highly flexible and capable of real-time DSP.
Join the team
We are now looking for engineers to join our verification team. Energy and enthusiasm are key to the role, where the unique challenges of processor verification will require rapid learning:
- Simulation model, instruction set and cycle accurate, working with and maintaining this “golden” reference is critical to the validation process.
- Pseudo random verification is well known, but adapting this to processor verification, with highly complex instruction sequences requires a special approach.
- Directed testing remains a powerful tool but necessitates a deep understanding of the architecture and design.
The role reports to the Head of Verification, based in our Bristol (UK) office, where you will be part of our Silicon team. You will be working alongside architects, designers and physical designers, and the role will require close cooperation with our Tools team, who provide our compiler.
The Verification team also contribute to the production test (developed by our team in California) and silicon characterisation activities in the UK – work does not stop at tape-out!
What we are looking for
Your experience should include some hands-on ASIC design or verification, and you should be able to demonstrate:
- Hardware verification languages theory and practice.
- Assertion based verification methods.
- Coverage analysis.
- Directed and constrained random test approaches.
- Version and change control management.
Useful experience includes:
- Formal verification techniques.
- Integrating of 3rd party VIP, such as IO protocol checkers, USB2, MIPI etc.
- Use of assembly code / software in processor core verification; and
- Some embedded programming experience.
In support of your verification effectiveness, you will be familiar with tool flow automation, automatic regression and queuing systems, with a good understanding of scripting languages.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working – Whilst the role is based in our Bristol office in the UK, we support flexible working patterns accommodating a mix of home and office-based working.
- Share options – EMI approved share options allocated at a level commensurate to seniority. A 4-year vesting profile with a 1-year cliff.
- Holidays – 25 days paid with an additional 3 days over the Christmas period when the office closes.
- Private medical insurance – membership of the corporate healthcare plan, currently held with
- AVIVA. Option of adding partner and children if they are residing in the UK (incremental premium must be paid by the Employee.)
- Group income protection cover – the level of benefit payable is 75% of scheme salary and an employee will become entitled to benefit after being unable to work because of sickness or injury for 26 continuous weeks.
- Life insurance – the benefit payable is a lump sum of 4 times scheme salary.
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme – established for employee contributions, with XMOS matching these up to 5% of salary.