XMOS is a UK based fabless semiconductor company with a unique multicore microcontroller architecture used in millions of products, from robotics to voice assistants, e-bikes to conference systems. Our devices provide the energy efficient, low cost and high-performance vector acceleration required by the rapidly evolving Edge AIoT industry and ML languages.
We focus on innovation through technology, and our engineering team spans a huge breadth of expertise, from silicon chip design to AI application software development, to highly optimized DSP and AI libraries, to development kits and our SDK and, of course, developing and maintaining our own tool chain.
We are now embarking on the design of our 4th generation processor, our most ambitious yet, and we are looking for passionate and ambitious engineers to come and join us.
What we are looking for
Our Tools team is looking for experienced software engineers to help develop and enhance our compiler tool chain. As part of this team, you can expect to be involved in:
- Working on the latest Clang C/C++ compiler to add features and to debug issues.
- Using benchmarking to understand and improve our compilation tools and to advise our research and silicon teams.
- Enhancing our linker and assembler to support new silicon features and programming models.
- Maintaining and enhancing our runtime libraries, for instance to support the latest C++ standard.
- Contributing to the specification of the next generation of silicon and toolchains.
- Supporting the software release cycle.
- Supporting the users of our products including the authoring of documentation.
Join the team
If you want to be part of our Tools team, and can contribute in any of these areas, then we would love to hear from you. But, first, let us just check a few things:
You must be able to demonstrate hands-on experience, and a high degree of expertise in:
- Strong C and C++ programming skills
- Experience reading and writing assembly code.
- Deep understanding of tools and libraries used to program embedded systems.
Additionally. you will have expertise in many of these areas:
- Python (2 or 3) experience.
- An understanding of micro-processor architectures for embedded applications – such as instruction set composition, pipeline stages, memory hierarchy, cache implementations etc.
- Experience with compiler design and implementation.
- A deep understanding of a compiler backend.
- Performed benchmarking and optimisation in conjunction with users with target applications.
- IDE customization.
- Worked with the open-source community.
- Released and supported compiler technology to a user base.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working – while the role is based in our Bristol office in the UK, we support flexible working patterns accommodating a mix of home and office-based working.
- Share options – EMI approved share options allocated at a level commensurate to seniority. A 4-year vesting profile with a 1-year cliff.
- Holidays – 25 days paid with an additional 3 days over the Christmas period when the office closes.
- Private medical insurance – membership of the corporate healthcare plan, currently held with AVIVA. Option of adding partner and children if they are residing in the UK (incremental premium must be paid by the Employee.)
- Group income protection cover – the level of benefit payable is 75% of scheme salary and an employee will become entitled to benefit after being unable to work because of sickness or injury for 26 continuous weeks.
- Life insurance – the benefit payable is a lump sum of 4 times scheme salary.
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme – established for employee contributions, with XMOS matching these up to 5% of salary.