Working on finfet digital process nodes in this challenging role at XMOS, you will be involved in optimising both the processor and SOC physical design to achieve an optimal balance between performance, power, cost, and flexibility. This broad role encompasses all areas of physical design including packaging and system considerations along with silicon activities from synthesis, through to sign-off.
XMOS has offered a broad range of processors for over 15 years, and we are now embarking on our 4th generation architecture. Targeting edge-AIoT, we are continuing to innovate the “cross-over” processor – low-cost, energy-efficient but capable of executing highly complex neural networks. Ours remains a truly general-purpose architecture, highly flexible and capable of real-time DSP.
Join the team
We are now looking for engineers to join our physical design team. Energy and enthusiasm are key to the role, where the unique challenges will require rapid learning:
- Evaluating process node options, specifying and integrating physical IP for use within the SOC means understanding the goals of the project.
- Developing and maintaining flows to synthesize, formally verify, floorplan, physically prototype and signoff the designs is critical to ensuring we can deliver quality designs on time.
- Working with 3rd party companies as well as in house activities requires a clear thought process and structured way of working.
- Creating constraints, formal verification and power analysis require a good understanding of the architecture and design.
The role reports to the Head of Physical Design, based in our Bristol (UK) office, where you will be part of our Silicon team. You will be working alongside architects, designers and verification engineers, and the role will require close cooperation with both XMOS engineers and 3rd Party companies.
The Physical team also contribute to the device bring up and silicon characterisation activities in the UK – work does not stop at tape-out!
What we are looking for
Your experience should include some hands-on digital physical design, and you should be able to demonstrate:
- Hard Physical design theory and practice.
- Excellent skills in Synthesis, PNR, STA and constraints generation.
- Clear ability to take designs through all stages of implementation from floor-planning to signoff.
- Scripting skills in both tcl and python.
- A good knowledge of industry standard digital flows.
- Version and change control management.
Useful experience includes:
- Analog design and spice simulation.
- RTL design.
- Familiarity with automating tasks.
In support of your verification effectiveness, you will be familiar with tool flow automation, automatic regression and queuing systems, with a good understanding of scripting languages.
XMOS is a global business, headquartered in Bristol (UK), with offices across Asia and the United States; and backed by some of the biggest names in high tech venture capital.
XMOS stands at the interface between voice processing and artificial intelligence. A leading supplier of voice and audio solutions for the consumer and commercial electronics market, our unique silicon architecture and highly differentiated software delivers class-leading far-field voice. Our high-performance, easily integrated solutions are transforming consumers’ interactions with everyday devices.
As a deep tech company working to develop more natural human machine interfaces, we’re always looking for questioning, flexible and determined people to help make that happen. Ours is a learning environment, which means we hire for capability and potential – and help you to achieve your best.
About our technology
XMOS is a fabless semiconductor company with a unique micro-controller design, underpinned by our own in-house tools.
Our approach to multi-core, highly parallel stream processing enables our software team to develop highly efficient “at the edge” intelligent sensor applications.
Today, we deliver best in class voice capture – detecting voice commands accurately, from across the room – even in noisy environments. And we’re building for a more natural human machine interface tomorrow.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working – Whilst the role is based in our Bristol office in the UK, we support flexible working patterns accommodating a mix of home and office-based working.
- Share options – EMI approved share options allocated at a level commensurate to seniority. A 4-year vesting profile with a 1-year cliff.
- Holidays – 25 days paid with an additional 3 days over the Christmas period when the office closes.
- Private medical insurance – membership of the corporate healthcare plan, currently held with
- AVIVA. Option of adding partner and children if they are residing in the UK (incremental premium must be paid by the Employee.)
- Group income protection cover – the level of benefit payable is 75% of scheme salary and an employee will become entitled to benefit after being unable to work because of sickness or injury for 26 continuous weeks.
- Life insurance – the benefit payable is a lump sum of 4 times scheme salary.
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme – established for employee contributions, with XMOS matching these up to 5% of salary.