CS Genetics is a privately-held genomics-technology company based in Cambridge, UK and San Diego, California. We are a nimble, highly-capable team focused on delivering genuine step-change innovation in genomic tools for research and clinical applications. We have developed a disruptive platform for single-cell genomics which leverages instrument-free, solution-phase chemical biology to provide unmatched ease-of-use, scalability, and affordability.
We’re looking for an audacious and dedicated laboratory scientist to join our R&D team as a Senior Research Associate or Associate Scientist. You will work closely with our broader R&D team to expand the portfolio of solid tissues with which our assay is compatible, and to demonstrate the use of our products in answering high-value scientific questions. You will also contribute to other aspects of our technology and product development. Therefore, the ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with mammalian tissues and cells, and basic molecular biology lab work, a deep desire to learn and master new laboratory techniques, and a keen intellectual interest in DNA sequencing technologies and their applications. This will be a challenging, multifaceted laboratory R&D position within a fast-moving team and will involve exposure to a variety of new experimental technologies, R&D processes, and end-to-end product development across applications in single-cell genomics and beyond.
· Apply molecular and cellular biology concepts while performing complex, cutting-edge lab work to develop new technologies for applications in single-cell genomics.
· Quickly learn, master, and apply different mammalian tissue culture and disaggregation, and cell biology laboratory techniques.
· Develop and optimise new reagents, techniques, and assay workflows for NGS.
· Work with a team of other laboratory scientists developing new ways of using NGS for diverse applications.
· Communicate internally and with external partners via oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings.
Required Skills and Background
· BA/BSc or equivalent in cell biology, biomedicine, neuroscience, immunology, or similar relevant subject. Candidates with a PhD will not be considered for this position.
· At least 2-3 year of full-time experience performing hands-on lab work in an academic and/or industrial setting in one of the following relevant fields in cell biology (e.g., mammalian solid tissue processing and disaggregation, primary and immortalized cell culture and cell-based assays), cancer biology, or immunology.
· Complementary basic techniques in molecular biology (e.g., PCR/qPCR, and RT).
· Understanding of NGS sequencing platforms and their applications in biology and biomedicine.
· Scientific creativity for developing new technologies, and solving complex situations inherently associated to the process.
· Attention to detail in hands-on lab work, in record-keeping, and in communications with others.
· Willingness to learn new protocols, and an ability to work and advance independently once trained in a method.
· Enthusiasm for a fast-paced R&D role in a small start-up environment.
Desired Skills and Background
· Prior experience with one of the following: NGS Sequencing (e.g. sample and library preparation methods such as DNA/RNA/ChIP-seq etc) and/or with other sophisticated nucleic acid or protein detection technologies/methods (molecular, optical, or otherwise).
· Experience with single cell genomics methods
· Cell sorting (MACS and/or FACS).
· Scientific knowledge relevant to nucleic acids and NGS.
· Knowledge of common maths/statistics relevant to scientific research.
· MSci/MRes/MPhil or equivalent in a relevant field preferred but not required.
What We Offer
· Location: Central Cambridge, UK, a short walk from Cambridge train station.
· Culture: You will join an exceptional team with a dynamic and interactive culture.
· Health & Wellbeing: You will receive Private Medical Insurance through BUPA and a Health Cash Plan through Medicash, for you and your family.
· Pension: We offer a 10% employer pension contribution scheme through AVIVA.
· Equity: Enrolled in the equity incentive program.
· Holidays: Employees in the UK get 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays.
· Socials: Regular company and community social activities.
· Tech: New joiners receive a company MacBook on their first day.
· Referral Incentive: You’ll receive a bonus for each successful employee referral.
· VISA: Visa sponsorship available for exceptional candidates.
CS Genetics is not working with recruiters for this role; interested applicants must apply directly to the company.